Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Working In a Coffee Shop

Yesterday I critiqued a bunch of stuff in a coffee shop.  I drove to the local Starbucks, purchased my usual overpriced but delicious and addictive Chai Tea Latte, walked over to the brand new "long table," asked the kid sitting at one end doing her homework if she would mind if I sat at the other end (she said, "No, I don't mind,") plopped myself down in a chair, got out my clipboard, my pen and a piece of cardboard for underlining things, and got to work.

I loved it.

I go to Starbucks all the time, but I never sit there unless I'm meeting a friend.  I always see folks working in there, but it never occurred to me to that I could sit there and work.  Pretty funny, considering the banner I sport on this blog.

Over the course of the two-and-a-half hours I spent at "The Buckie" (as my friend Catherine likes to call it ... she refers to Dunkin' Donuts as "The Dunkie,") they played Blues, some New-Age-y mood stuff, and some pop over the sound system at just the right decibel level.

The customers played around the edge of my attention, too.  Bikers with a band came in for a Bikers With a Band meeting. (One of the bikers had a wicked southern accent ... he actually said "ghee-tar." And by "bikers," I mean the Harley-Davidson kind.)  Then a bunch of moms whose kids all go to the same dance studio came in; they were chatting about conventions and competitions and fundraisers.  Some more high school kids commandeered a table and chatted, texted and guffawed. Lots of people came in to order drinks.  It was like listening to a hybrid language invented solely for the purpose of providing a vocabulary for us entitled swillers of fancy hot beverages: "I'll have a triple, venti, half sweet, non-fat, Caramel Macchiato" or "Gimme a non-fat, extra hot, extra water Chai Tea Latte" (that one is me, only I never have to order it at my Starbucks.  The delightful staff always says, "Are you having your Chai?" and all I have to do is smile and nod ...) or "Hmm, how about a decaf Soy Latte with an extra shot and cream?"

The sun shifted.  It's late September here in New England and if you go somewhere at 3:30 p.m. and it gets around to being 6:00 p.m., the quality of the light will most definitely change as the sun starts to hang low in the sky.

One of the employees started sweeping.  I moved for him and he was so grateful.  Then he started mopping and I moved again. "Thank you so much.  That's so thoughtful!" he said.

I finished the last bit of critiquing for my every-other-Monday Writer's Workshop and gathered up my things.

There was something luxurious about leaving Starbucks and going directly to the workshop with my work done and enough time to get there easily.  No last minute "put-the-wash-in-the-dryer", "chop-veggies-for-family-stirfry", "answer-phone-as-I-dash-out-the-door-because-it-might-be-my-husband" or the dreaded "neighbor's-dog's-in-the-paddock-chasing-the-horses-around-oh-no-they're-gonna-kick-him-in-the-head." Nope. Just a cheery wave to the baristas as I shouldered my trendy messenger bag and, keys in hand, headed out to the car.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the plunge.  I'm gonna work on my WIP there.

I'm bringing the laptop.

Yup.  Make it a Venti. (Buckiespeak for BIG GULP.)

8 comments:

  1. My critique group in WA used to meet in a Starbucks at Borders, then shifted to the grocery store. We were a regular feature every two weeks for a good many years ... we critiqued, bought drinks, and did the shopping for our family later. But, never, ever, did I sit down there to work on a wip ... perhaps because I write best in my pjs at home, with the pets pawing at my stuff.

    Happy writing, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't get over there today to write ... I have a friend with a finished manuscript and I'm doing some critique work for her. I had the opportunity to babysit for my godson, Thomas, so while he watched Cincinnati vs the Mets, I hung out in the kitchen and blue penned to my heart's content while keeping the 12-week-old lab from eating a plastic bottle. The writing life is so dang good, eh? Thanks for stopping by, Vijaya!

      Delete
  2. One of my critique partner friends writes every Friday at Starbuck's. I love joining her when I can--it feels nice to have background chaos going on that is not MY chaos. But I have to say, I almost have a panic attack every time I have to order something. Too many choices for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be in luck ... Pimsleur is coming out with with its "Ordering at Starbucks" series. I hear there's a flow chart to help you choose ... you know: coffee or tea? If tea, go here, if coffee, go there. Milk or black? If black, go here. If milk, non-fat? then go here ... etc, etc, etc. It'll probably take about an hour the first time.

      They might even have a counselor!

      Hope all is well, Faith! Love to the Houghs!

      Delete
  3. Your friends abbreviations just might be catching, lol! Have fun w/your laptop. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Leandra ... I shall feel so "writerly!" I think tomorrow's actually going to be the day I go.

      Delete
  4. As much as I love writing in Starbucks (and I do!), I also like Panera Bread, Barnes & Noble cafes and my local library. I'm rather promiscuous in my writing venues. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lynn ... you do write around. But you have a heart of gold!

      Delete